Skip to main content

Puff Daddy

Sean Combs  also known by the stage names Puff Daddy, P. Diddy, Puffy, or Diddy, is an American rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, record executive, entrepreneur, and actor. Combs was born in New York City but was raised in Mount Vernon, New York. He worked as a talent director at Uptown Records before founding his own record label, Bad Boy Entertainment, in 1993.

Combs' debut album, 'No Way Out' from 1997 was an instant success, followed by multiple successful albums and singles.

Combs formed the musical group Dirty Money and  also produced and cultivated artists such as Mary J. Blige and The Notorious B.I.G.

The Track 'I'll be Missing You' featuring Faith Evans is about the death of The Notorious B.I.G. in a shooting incident, and samples heavily form The Police's 'Every Breath I Take'.



Popular Posts

Talking Heads

Talking Heads were an American rock band formed in the mid 1970s in New York City and active until 1991. The band was composed of former art school students David Byrne (lead vocals, guitar), Chris Frantz (drums), Tina Weymouth (bass), and Jerry Harrison (keyboards, guitar). they were a pioneering new wave group who drew inspiration from punk, art rock, funk, and other stances. They released their 1977 debut album, ' Talking Heads: 77 ', to positive reviews and one of my favourite albums of the year They collaborated with producer Brian Eno on a trio of experimental and critically acclaimed album releases: ' More Songs About Buildings and Food ' released in 1978, ' Fear of Music ' from 1979 and ' Remain in Light ' released in 1980. In 1981 they had eth track ' Once in a Lifetime '. After a pause, during which time husband and wife Frantz and Weymouth, formed the Tom Tom Club, they returned with a great tracks like   " Burning Down the House ...

Hazel O'Connor

Hazel O'Connor was a bit of a flash in the pan, new wave star in the early 1980s, she shot to fame in the film 'Breaking Glass' for which she wrote and performed the sound track.  I saw her perform in Reading, when at Uni and she was supported by an up and coming New Romantic group called 'Duran Duran'. Her two big tracks were ' Eighth Day ' and ' Will You ' 

Alice Cooper

Alice Cooper is the name of the lead singer and band that recorded released the ' Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits ' album, the very first record I ever bought, from Sounds Groovy in Horsham back in the early 1975 as best as I can remember! Originally the group was Cooper on vocals, Glen Buxton on Drums, Neal Smith on Lead Guitar and Michael Bruce on Rhythm Guitar and Dennis Dunaway on Bass Guitar. After 1975 Alice Cooper became a solo act and the band broke-up. As with many, my first awareness of eth band was with ' School's Out ' an anthem from 1972, which was knocked off the No.1 spot in the UK by Donny Osmond! Warning many of these videos contain snakes.  After this hit, the band had hits with ' Elected ' and ' Billion Dollar Babies ' It was not until I got hold of the Greatest Hits album that I was really hooked on the group until the emergence of Punk and New Wave... Early tracks such as ' I'm Eighteen ' and ' Under my Wheels ...

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood were a Pub Rock band formed in the early 1970s in Canvey Island, Essex, the group are best known for early singles such as " Back in the Night " and " Milk and Alcohol ".  The group's original, distinctive British R&B sound was based on Wilko Johnson's choppy guitar style. Along with Johnson, the original band line-up included singer Lee Brilleaux and the rhythm section of John B. Sparks, known as "Sparko", on bass guitar and John Martin, known as "The Big Figure", on drums.  I was actively aware of the band from about 1975 onwards and followed them until about 1980, although with diminished enthusiasm as other genres began to take a lead.  First track here is the classic ' Milk and Alcohol ', a favourite of my friends when at Uni in Reading in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The other classic is ' Back in the Night ' I have one or two of their singles in my collection, these are firmly stuck in the loft ...

The Slits

 The Slits were a strange group, a lot of potential but never really got anywhere. I guess they'd say they didn't sell out but then they would wouldn't they. Key band members were Ari Up, Palmolive and Viv Albertine. Their first Album was 'Cut' and this was pretty good and worth a listen I remember two tracks that they did 'Typical Girls' and a remake of ' I heard it through the Grapevine'